So it begins. Again.

/ Monday, 7 November 2011 /
I hit my first hurdle. I became too busy. I was drinking lots, hungover the majority of the time and just not bothered to write blog entries anymore. I'm currently reading Three Cups of Tea and I read a lovely paragraph:

"Lou Reichardt knew something about suffering for and reaching difficult goals.His acknowledgement of how tough a path Mortenson was trying to walk made Mortenson feel that he hadn't failed. He just hadn't completed the climb. Yet."

I am not going to beat myself up because I abandoned my blog momentarily. Or because I ate a load of chocolate. And stopped drinking water. No I hit a hurdle, but we're back. Ok I haven't reached my goal of eating healthily. But...yet.

Anyone who has tried to start a new habit or change something about themselves will know how it feels to just be fed up and want to give up. Hang in there. Perseverance and the knowledge that you can start again and pick up where you left off, should encourage you to keep at it.

I was recently inspired by one of my really good friends. She was going to call down and visit, but she wanted to enter a competition first. So after waiting almost an hour, I was starting to feel sleepy so I asked if she was still coming down. She replied that she still hadn't finished entering the competition and would I mind if I left it until another evening. Of course I didn't. A couple of days later, she was shortlisted for the chance to win an internship with Elle. [ You can vote for her here]

Moral of the story? You got to be in it to win it. If she had come to visit me instead of entering the competition, she wouldn't be in for the chance to win. If you have a goal and you really want it, it's not going to be handed to you. You have to enter the competition. Ok. And maybe you already have. Maybe you tried to quit smoking, and got really far but at the last hurdle, you crumbled and started smoking again. If you think "Oh well I tried" then you'll never quit. But you haven't failed. You just haven't succeeded. Yet. But if you're not in it, then how can you ever attempt to get over the hurdle?

3 comments:

{ Laura } on: 7 November 2011 at 14:55 said...

That's a lovely story about your friend, good luck to her! Your right though, some times you just have to get yourself back on the wagon :-)

{ Fashion Cappuccino } on: 7 November 2011 at 23:08 said...

Wow! This is so inspiring! It's true that you have to be determined to get what you want! xoxoxoo

{ C. F. Hynes } on: 8 November 2011 at 01:33 said...

Too true, once you get back on the wagon, it might not be as hard the second time around.

All in the determination :) Three cups of tea is really inspiring, I'd recommend!

Subscribe for email updates...

Currently reading...

"After Dark" - Haruki Murakami
 
Copyright © 2010 Lessons from a Chocoholic..., All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger